Friday, November 19, 2021

Warriors and Survivors - 32

 

Children Cancer Stories by Rukh Yusuf - Blog # 32


I am Rukh Yusuf, Clinical Pharmacist, also specialized in Total Parenteral Nutrition and Bone Marrow Transplant. I have been working in Pediatric Oncology unit of a public hospital for several years. The mission of this blog is to bring to you the real-life stories of child patients suffering from cancer. Cancer is still a difficult disease to handle and treat. However, when it strikes the children, some so young that they cannot even speak, their agony is beyond expression and words. Let us pray especially for children suffering from cancer for early and complete remission. May Allah shower His Merciful Blessings upon them. Aameen.

 



Amid lot of pain and disappointment Let’s talk about some hope and discuss a success story. Today I met a 13-year-old Asad, a cancer survivor to requested him to share his experience about his disease and treatment. Below is what he said.

I was shy always, I used to stay at home and play video games and read books. I was never a sports person but whenever I tried I could not do better.

Parents consulted doctors worried about my growth and strength, later I was put on multivitamins and supplements to help in my growth and strength. I used that for many months but nothing improved. Three years before my right leg began to hurt near the knee. Later I noticed my leg starting to swell up and I informed my mother. She consulted doctor. After multiple visits and a lot number of tests, x-rays and other difficult investigations it revealed that it is tumor that is reason of my leg swelling and broken bone and doctors named it osteosarcoma. I was referred to tertiary care oncology center for treatment.

My treatment started here, it included lot of heavy chemotherapy and very difficult tests like bone scan and a CT scan and it is very difficult to bear the chemotherapy alone, scans are scary too. It’s too difficult to describe pain of bearing chemotherapy, but by grace of Almighty I completed chemo cycles and it was very disappointing to know after post chemo scans that osteosarcoma spread in the neighboring bones.

I had to go through bone scan and a CT scan multiple times, and then labs, and waiting for the labs is too troublesome to describe. Waiting for the test result to come normal is more than waiting for exam result.

Later my leg had to be amputated above the knee and I was on wheelchair for some time than my parents helped me with prosthesis. I cannot describe my feeling when my leg was amputated. It was like my life is going to end. Later I had to go through physical therapy to adjust with my prosthesis.

 

 

After another round of chemotherapy I was cleared of any sign of cancer and it was declared that my treatment is completed. My parents and family were too happy for me and I am not sure about my feeling. Whether I should be happy for successful treatment or sad for losing my leg for always in all years to come of my life.

No doubt my life will never be same again but to be honest I am happy that Allah cured me of such a horrible disease as I have seen many children younger than me suffering different kind of cancers and their lives are miserable. I am grateful to Allah who saved me from this terrible disease and thankful for the support of my parents, family and all hospital staff who worked hard for my treatment and cure. I pray that Allah grant health to every cancer patient.

 

We pray for healthy life of Asad and all suffering children. Aameen

 

Note: Names have been changed to protect identity.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post # 03 by Rukh Yusuf