Friday, December 2, 2022

Warriors and Survivors - 85

Children Cancer Stories by Rukh Yusuf - Blog # 85


I am Rukh Yusuf, Clinical Pharmacist, also specialized in Total Parenteral Nutrition and Bone Marrow Transplant. I have been working in Pediatric Oncology unit of a public hospital for several years. The mission of this blog is to bring to you the real-life stories of child patients suffering from cancer. Cancer is still a difficult disease to handle and treat. However, when it strikes the children, some so young that they cannot even speak, their agony is beyond expression and words. Let us pray especially for children suffering from cancer for early and complete remission. May Allah shower His Merciful Blessings upon them. Aameen. 

 

When I first met Aqsa, she was on a wheelchair. Her large eyes were silent, and her lips were very dry. When I asked her name, I could not hear the reply, just saw she was saying something. I smiled and asked her, why cannot you speak loudly! Have not you eaten anything? 

Her reply saddened me, and I still feel sad. She smiled back and replied, “I have not eaten anything for two months, I have been fed though feeding tube”. 

There are storis on each foot of this earth, devastating, grieving and unforgettable. How much pain one can bear and how can my heart hold so much pain for all these children? 

When I talked to Aqsa’s mother, she told me that one year ago, Aqsa had a wound in her leg that was not healing. They consulted local doctor in their town who referred her to tertiary care hospital, and she was admitted here within days. 

Soon after admission, her leg was resected due to wound to avoid spread. Aqsa is fourteen years old and only sister of four brothers. The family is from a peripheral town, and they have to travel for the treatment. 

Aqsa was diagnosed with low-grade osteosarcoma; her chemotherapy was initiated but after two cycles she developed severe side effects. Her side effects were managed, and her treatment was completed. 

After few months, she came back with lower abdomen complications and relapse was diagnosed. Yes, her disease had come back, Poor Aqsa had to fight once again. 

Pain and hopelessness faded not only her smile but also her voice, she was too weak and feeble to express her pain. I still can feel her sadness on her face. 

Her disease was not under control, she was admitted soon after the day she met me. Her mother was worried due to her worsening. In couple of days Aqsa was admitted in the ICU, her lower abdominal tumor was worse this time and chemotherapy was not affecting her.  She was too weak to tolerate chemotherapy this time. 

Her father was here with Aqsa, family was doing everything for their one and only beloved child. Sometimes a very sick child comes back from ICU but Aqsa, she went there and never came back. She left her innocent smile in my eyes. 

Just like Aqsa, lots of flowers have been gathered in heaven so far, I hope to meet them there one day, I hope to see them healthy, happy and pain free. 

Prayers for the ease for Aqsa’s mother and father. Aameen

Prayers for the ease of Aqsa’s family. May Allah recover all patients. May Allah ease and cure all patients and cancer warriors. 

Note: Names have been changed to protect identity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post # 03 by Rukh Yusuf